Skip to main content

SPAMmed once more

In my little kitchen world, I dare say, SPAM is the next best thing that came "out" of World War 2.   Next, of course, and not saying this lightly or dismissively, but just in totality to what happened then, to the triumph of good over evil of that time.

Tastes differ, but personally, I like the taste of SPAM.  In this health-conscious generation, need I say that it is not organic?  Definitely lots of preservatives there.  But my oh my, what do i not like about that salty goodness? :)   And I am sure I have kindred palates out there. :)   

I have fond childhood memories of my mom serving fried SPAM to our family.  It will be a rare occasion (as SPAM was very expensive then in the Philippines) and we are quite a large brood.  I remember while my Dad or Mom was saying grace, I would be peeping out to that plateful of SPAM on the table, getting ready to grab a slice or two right after the "Amen!". :)  I am pretty sure my sisters were also doing the same :).  To this day, SPAM still has an effect on me, where to some it may be just an ordinary meat in a can, to me, it is a special treat. :)

SPAM IS. SO. EASY. to cook, any newb can do it.  Just fry it in a little oil, and voila!  And it's a very versatile addition to any dish.  Usually mine goes to soups, sandwiches, fried rice or to embutido (the Filipino take on meatloaf).    This canned delight has certainly saved me a  many headaches on those i-just-don't-know-what-to-cook-today days.  I do make it a point, that since I'm cooking for my kids too, I use the SPAM Lite edition - less on the sodium.   And more not than often, pun intended.

Here's one sandwich night we had a few weeks ago.  Easy-breezy & yummy. (The veggie pasta was a left-over reheat :P.  Perhaps I'll do a post of that recipe next time too).



SLT sandwich
  1 can of SPAM Lite, sliced into desired thickness
  white or wheat bread, lightly buttered & toasted
  cheese slices
  lettuce
  tomato, seeded & sliced to rings
  onion, sliced to rings
  pickles
  mayo
  + other optional "innings" of your ideal 'wich :-P

  1.  heat frying pan, add a little oil, then pan-fry SPAM slices
  2.  On a slice of toasted bread, layer SPAM slices w/ all the other ingredients.
  3.  Top with another toasted bread 
      (or you can also opt for an open faced sandwich!)

enjoy! ^_^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

oh my chickpeas! (hummus try this too!)

"Not a chick 🐤, it's not a pea! It's chickpeas!" My hubby's long wait is over, finally, chickpeas hummus is served! Really delish. Garbanzos  or otherwise known as chickpeas , is a power food from the legume family. Using only the trusty food processor, t his dip is one easy and nutritious dip to make.  A nd because it's got that peanut-y butter taste, my little chickpeas (👦👧👧) enjoy it too. Buddy-up with some veggie sticks, and their favorite potato chips, and they won't be able to resist it.  If not 100% healthy plating, at least, partly healthy. We win some.✊         Ingredients 6 tbsp lemon juice 2 garlic shredded 1/2 tsp salt 2.3 cup peanut butter, or tahini (more legit) 1 can of washed/drained garbanzos 1 tsp salt ice-cold water 1 tsp cumin powder 1/2 tsp paprika powder or chilli flakes Steps 1 Marinate In a food processor or blender, blend together lemon juice, shredded garlic and salt. Let sit for 10 mins to allow the flavors to marry. 2 Blend

Steamed eggy pie

If I've not mentioned it already, my little family is in love with chicken  🐔  eggs. 😍 We do not have the  e99y as our beloved padre de pamilya for no reason at all.  Omelette, sunny side up, egg sandwich, deviled eggs, scotch eggs, adobo eggs, salted eggs, egg soup, oh the list does go on!  Another of our favorite take is steamed Eggy Pie . Much-loved by my brood, this one is perfect for merienda in school and at work or right in the comfort of home.  Dessert? Easily so! Simple and delicious, this is also a no-bake recipe. Instead of oven, only a steamer  is needed. And THAT makes it an absolute keeper in my recipe list!  😎 Steamed Eggy Pie Serving size: 8-inch pan 1+1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup cold butter 2 tbsp sugar 3 large eggs 1 cup evaporated milk 3/4 cup condensed milk Vanilla essence Prepare the crust: 1. Mash and mix the dry ingredients below.     1 +  1/2 cup all-purpose flour     1/2 cup cold butter chopped to small cubes     2 tbsp sug

Banana ba-na-na-naaaa

Truth be told i am not so fond of ripe bananas.  I admitted as much to my kids. But i do show them that i eat it, despite. Must walk the talk especially when they are the involuntary audience to my "healthy food" lectures 😅. Banana cake is an exemption though. The mix of all ingredients is just so right it transports this yellow fruit right smack among my favorite fruits list each time i gobble a piece.  The aroma as it bakes brings back fond memories of my mom preparing this treat. If its up in the menu for the day in my parent's luncheonette... well, ... it was the best time to do a taste test to "help out" in the family business 😜 Prep Time: 15mins Cook Time: 45 mins  🍌 Ingredients 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (APF) (215g) 1 tsp baking powder (6g) 1 tsp baking soda (6g) 1 tsp salt (6g) 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (3g) 3/4 cup Brown sugar (150g) 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature (113g) 2 eggs large 4 bananas Very ripe mashed about (430g) ( large bananas;